Job title: Secondary Academic Counsellor
Department: Secondary School
Start Date: August 2019
Location: Dubai, UAE
Reports to: Head of Secondary School
This School is a leading day and boarding school where future generations are inspired to become confident and enthusiastic life-long learners, ready to embrace the opportunities of a global world. Our school follows the full continuum International Baccalaureate (IB) programme in English with additional languages or in two bilingual English-French and English- German streams. The school is an IB Continuum World School authorised to offer and teach the IB Primary Years Programme (PYP), IB Middle Years Programme (MYP) and IB Diploma Programme (DP). Our unique curriculum offers an engaging learning experience, the challenge of developing a real understanding of cultural diversity and the support of a thriving international community. Our large eco-friendly campus ensures that we can offer a wide range of sporting facilities that make the most of our location adjacent to Dubai Creek.
The Secondary Academic Counsellor is responsible for providing academic guidance and Secondary students from Grades 9-12 via an articulated programme.
Academic Guidance at this school involves helping students with careers choices and high school class selection, guiding them through the university research and application process, and ensuring that school documentation is sent to universities around theworld with the ultimate aim of facilitating the attaining of students’ academic orcareer goals.
• Develop and implement an all-encompassing educational and counselling
Main Duties and
plan for Grades 9-12.
- Work with the Inclusion and Guidance Counsellor and the Pastoral Team to
generate a Grade 6-12 college / university / career continuum.
- Meet individually with student(s) and parents/to explore and identify appropriate college options. Communicate regularly with counselees.
- Monitor individual student progress throughout the college application process.
- Guide students and others in understanding and using the relevant IT systems
- Provide guidance and resources and teach tools to navigate the college search and application process
- Educate families about admissions and financial aid or scholarship possibilities.
- Coordinate college/university/careers event and trip planning and
- Build and maintain relationships with admission professionals.
- Invite college admissions officers to visit the school and meet with students.
- Coordinate information both internally and externally with broad
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of colleges and universities, which
includes making regular visits to colleges.
- Stay current on developments in the sector.
- Educate students on appropriate interviewing techniques, self-assessment
- application essay writing techniques.
- Coordinate events throughout the year such as evening college fairs,
workshops and college trips.
- Compile records of relevant activities and maintain a database system;
update and maintain databases such as mailing lists and contact lists.
- Assess secondary students’ attributes and help them realize their strengths.
- Coordinate guidance counselling services and provide counselling for
individual and group student support.
- Plan and participate in parent seminars as related to group guidance
- Assist in the coordination of specific educational options for secondary
- Assist in the coordination of career/occupational paths by supporting career
days, shadowing experiences, and mentorships.
- Participate in all areas of college/university application/scholarship/financial
- Keeps accurate records in all areas of the secondary guidance programme.
- Assist in the administration of the testing programmes assigned by the Head
of Secondary School or academic coordinator(s).
- Attends professional conferences, seminars in order to keep up to date with
developments in the area of guidance.
- Assists in the development of annual and long-term budget for the guidance
- Assist in the development of annual and long-term guidance goals.
- Collaborate with class teachers to deliver a strong advisory guidance
- Assist with students’ services in the secondary school.
• Guide students and their parents/guardians through the college admissions
• Promote a climate in which diversity and inclusion is valued.
- Nurture meaningful relationships with secondary students and provide the individual guidance they need.
- Maintain a safe environment for secondary students.
- Communicate accurately and regularly with parents.
- Participate in school activities outside regular school hours to include, but
not limited to, ASA’s, Boarding House(s) support, school trips, staff meetings,parent’s evenings, open days, INSET days, professional development trainingsessions, conferences and workshops, induction and if applicable examination supervision
- Oversee that school credentials (transcripts and letters of recommendation) get sent to colleges.
- Pursue appropriate professional development, including attendance at annual conference(s) in the counselling and admission professional organizations.
- Assume the responsibilities of a teacher with a reduced load. This load will reduce further as the cohort sizes increase.
Students, Teachers, DP Coordinator, Head of Secondary School, Deputy Heads of Secondary School
Parents, KHDA, Universities, Colleges
Be a fully qualified and experienced academic counsellor with a relevant Degree
MUST HAVE SKILLS
- Previous international school experience of at least 3 years in university guidance counselling and/or university admissions and individual coaching of students
- Expertise with the university admissions process; previous success with admission to top European, US and UK universities
- Proven familiarity with college and university networks
- Professional relationship with organizations like NACAC or International
- Working knowledge of university admissions online platforms
- Must be committed to cultural diversity.
- Ability to teach an academic subject as part of a reduced load would be
Proficiency in an additional language such as English, French, German and/or Arabic is desired
Salary & Benefits
The salary and benefits package is competitive and reflects the fact that the school is committed to excellence.
Limited/Fixed Term in Free Zone
Candidates are requested to submit the following documents: